Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Microblogging, it's Twitterrific!

I'm not sure I like Twitter. It is information O-VER-LOAD, like someone shoving pavlova into my mouth, my eyes and my ears, while speaking to me in reverse to the beat of a Toto song. It's not in big readable chunks but a lot of snippets, some hard to see in context without previous tweets, and the language of Twitter takes some getting used to.

It's a great marketing tool for getting information out quick. I'm following my favourite bands at the moment and one has tweeted information about canceled shows and additional shows they've added on last minute. Melbourne Open House tweeted previously about their open days for 2010. Organisations that need to relay information fast can use Twitter for such a purpose, but the tweets are limited in word space, so if the message is short and sweet it is ideal, and with the use of shortened links, more information is being squeezed into 140 characters.

The big down side: I made the mistake of following too many people. There was just too much going on from Neil Gaiman's trip in NZ to Neil Patrick Harris sitting in Singapore Airport. When Twitter is like reality TV in the palm of your hand, it's not really useful unless you want to stalk them. This bombardment of information is like static, where maybe 1% of tweets have information I want to read. It's like someone giving you just 140 characters of their state right now, or now, or wait a minute... now. It's either too much or not enough. Following friends is great too, but following too long is like overstaying your welcome. I like my friends but I don't want an update about their life every minute of everyday.

I'll see how I feel about it in a few weeks. I wish I could just channel that bit of Gen Y and say I hate it and quit it, but here is my Twitter Page, which you can follow. I'm not sure if what I tweet will be very poignant but I promise I won't regale you with a blow by blow post vindaloo episode.

I'll save that for my facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Great post,I agree completely! Only just starting mine, will find you on twitter- Experiment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your thoughts born from your Twitter experience - its just the same as doing a library search - gathering the quality resources to provide the best info. Im enjoying Danny De Vitos 'Trollfoot' series of photos that he regularly posts at the moment! - a virtual art exhibition over time and space.

    ReplyDelete